Tuesday, July 3, 2007

T.A.R.C. Sandwich

TARC.....as in Transit Authority of the River Cities.

Yeah, so I'm just fessing up - I've chosen my transportation of choice for the new job and it begins and ends with the bus. And even crazier is that I love it.

I can't help but wonder as I ride how the bus has gotten such a bad rap over the years. I mean, the subway is "cool", the monorail is "cool", the "L" is "cooL".

But when you say you ride the bus people kind of think quietly in their head, wondering A) what is wrong with that person and/or B) what kind of gambling/drug addiction have they developed to put them in a place financially where this is necessary.

But I'm trying to change that perception. One ride at a time. With my stylish business casual gear and ipod nano - I'm bringing the yuppie back to the bus. And you know what? It feels pretty good. It's like being chauferred around town on the cheap with 20 of your best friends.....except that you don't know these people and half of them look crazy and yell out things to nobody in general. On second thought - not too different from my current friend set.

My friend Kier says that I've lessened by eco-footprint and for that I should feel good.

And for that - I will ride the bus in style, with pride, and with both eyes open. Because as I stand at the Edgeland and Bardstown stop waiting for the 17 to arrive at 8:10 in the AM - I can't help but think, "I'm wide awake, and its morning". If only it didn't take me so long to arise from my slumber.........

1 comment:

LIFE ON DAYS said...

May you have a strong foundation... when the winds, ofchangesshift!